Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stranger the Revelator

On my walk into the office today I was offered a strange compliment (??). I was waiting for the light to change while having what can only be described as a depeche mode mo-ment (master and servant indeed). When a woman standing next to me motioned for me to remove my ear buds. I did so, timidly, and raised an eyebrow for her to go ahead. "Your hair looks so comfortable!" She spouted. My mind was turbid with confusion. Comfortable? What is comfortable hair? When is hair uncomfortable? Is she uncomfortable right now? I realized that were were still standing there in an uncomfortable proximity, for me at least, engaged in an interaction that I was unsure how to bring to a close. I took a cue from Gervais and said only "Cheers, mate." The light turned, interaction over, but I was set to wonder.

3 comments:

Michelle Auer said...

That is like the time when Exene Cervenka looked at me and said, "Your hair is so beautiful. If I had beautiful hair like yours I would just chop it all off!"
I was left to wonder if I had just been complimented or insulted. She delivered it with a smile and seemed sincere, but still...

Unknown said...

that's what got me with this crazy train! she was actively smiling throughout our entire interaction! i need to just stay in.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what uncomfortable hair is, too. I know when I get my haircut and forget to rinse the loose hairs off before bed it can be uncomfortable, but I'm usually not aware of it to be comfortable or not - it's just there.

Michelle - that Exene story is awesome and 100% explains why I will never get/be punk. Still, I love her, though.