Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Night Not Un-like Many Others.

I fought for every second of sleep that managed to occur the night before. Talking myself into a tepid slumber then coaxing my way back after I sat straight up over-breathing only an hour or so later. Mind racing and tears pressing up against the back of my eyes. None fell, though. I pulled myself out of bed after agonizing through the last moments of sleep. Walked heavy footed into the bathroom and washed my face, first with cold water. I scrubbed vigorously when I turned the water to hot like I could scrub off what had happened the night before. I spent a long time staring at my face in the mirror. The torment of the previous nights sleep was wiped and spread all over it. Thankfully, my eyes were still there, and still the same: Intense, sad, and blue gray.

No comments: